The Fiji Chess Federation is calling for applications from chess players interested in participating in the 43rd Chess Olympiad in Batumi, Georgia from September 23 to October 7, 2018.
Fiji will be participating in the Open and Women’s divisions, and each team will consist of one captain and five players.
The training sessions are scheduled from February to July and will be conducted online by FIDE Senior Trainers. Fiji is the only Oceania country amongst ten Asian federations chosen for this inaugural programme. The sessions will be attended by players from all participating nations.
To be eligible for selection in the Fiji Open or Women’s team, players must:
- be registered, or eligible to be registered, under Fiji in the FIDE rating system;
- travel with a parent/guardian if they are under 16 years of age;
- be able to contribute up to FJD$2000 for travel costs;
- have a computer and reliable Internet access;
- be able to attend at least one online training session (1.5hrs) per week; and
- apply using this form before January 31, 2018.
The primary objective when attending the Olympiad is to attain the best possible placing at the end of the tournament and improve on Fiji’s results from previous Olympiads.
The selection of players for the Open and Women’s teams will be made by a panel that is independent of those applying for a spot on either team.
The selection panel will be appointed after the close of player applications.
Queries can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or messaged on FCF’s Facebook Page.